Saturday, January 04, 2014

From the Journals (12/16/13)


The following is a passage from the novel The Map of Time by Felix J. Palma (pictured): 

Not even the touch on the skin of the delicious breeze heralding the arrival of summer, nor caressing a woman's body, nor sipping Scotch whiskey in the bathtub until the water goes cold, in short, no other pleasure Wells could think of gave him a greater sense of well-being than when he added the final full stop to a novel.  This culminating act always filled him with a sense of giddy satisfaction born of the certainty that nothing he could achieve in life could fulfill him more than writing a novel, no matter how tedious, difficult, and thankless he found the task, for Wells was one of those writers who detest writing but love "having written." 

There is so much truth to these sentences that it's as if I've found a sibling in this grouping of words, a truth that is so unlike a truth but rather a matter of fact, never having to prove itself as being otherwise.  Like I felt about Woody Allen in his movie "Midnight in Paris," writers just get other writers and cater to them as such.  Last night, I read my last completed chapter so far, and it left me stunned and so satisfied that I slept better than I'd slept in a long time. 

No comments: